Green & Solar Building
WHAT’S “GREEN” ABOUT LEE MICHAEL HOMES?
A lot of talk these days is about “Green” this and “Green” that … but what truly does that mean in words and actions that we all understand? Learn about what Lee Michael Homes is doing about green home building in Albuquerque to really make a difference for you, your family, and the delicate environment in which we live, and how we should protect it.
OUR EFFORTS IN LAND DESIGN AND PLANNING:
- Situating homes to take advantage of optimal solar energy potential.
- Actively develop and build in certified “Build Green New Mexico” communities.
- Minimizing impervious (solid) surfaces to allow for better water retention where needed.
- Creating efficient designs that maintain the home’s functionality & provides a comfortable lifestyle.
OUR EFFORTS IN PRESERVING ENVIRONMENTAL RESOURCES:
- Applying advanced framing techniques to minimize lumber waste & increase insulation effectiveness.
- Using recycled products wherever possible such as carpet, padding, hard surface flooring, etc.
- Using locally available indigenous materials wherever possible to save on shipping and unnecessary energy use.
- Initiating an on-site recycling program.
OUR EFFORTS IN ACHIEVING ENERGY EFFICIENCY:
- Beefing up insulation packages to include blown-in insulations in walls and ceilings.
- Sealing & insulating all HVAC ductwork, plenums and trunks in unconditioned spaces.
- Insulating cold water pipes in unconditioned spaces to prevent condensation.
- Providing a continuous air barrier between the garage and living areas including air sealing packages.
- Running conduit & insulated pipe for future roof-ready Photo-Voltaic & Solar hot water heater systems.
- Installing awnings and covered porches for controlled sun exposure where applicable.
- Strategizing the placement of windows for shade and solar gain, where appropriate.
- Installing low E glass thermal paned low-maintenance windows.
- Using energy star water-conserving appliances.
- Selecting low-maintenance, long-life products for high performance.
- Installing tubular solar skylights, where appropriate.
- Engineering for high-efficiency HVAC systems.
- Wiring bath fans with timers for better energy use.
- Providing recessed lights with insulated boxes.
OUR EFFORTS TO INCREASE WATER EFFICIENCY:
- Installing hot water re-circulating pump with timer and tankless hot water systems where appropriate.
- Selecting native & regionally appropriate trees & vegetation for landscaping designs.
- Installing low-volume water-use irrigation systems and water retainage devices.
- Providing low-water-use toilets and faucets.
OUR EFFORTS TO IMPROVE INDOOR AIR QUALITY:
- Using mechanical ventilation systems for fresh-air make-up & circulation.
- Integrating air sealing packages to reduce infiltration.
- Installing transfer grilles in bedrooms for improved air flow.
- Providing low VOC (Volatile organic compounds) flooring, paints and finishes wherever possible.
- Allowing for all exhaust vents to be directed to the outside for better efficiency.
- Using direct-vent sealed energy-efficient gas fireplaces to improve indoor air quality.
OUR EFFORTS TO IMPROVE HOME PERFORMANCE & TO MAKE A GLOBAL IMPACT:
- Performance of third-party blower door and duct leakage tests.
- Installing moisture resistant backer-board under tile surfaces.
- Supplying a homeowner manual to every homeowner to assist in the care & maintenance of the home.
- Suggesting a list of solid habits and actions to homeowners to optimize water and energy use.
- Encouraging and educating homeowners in recycle programs as part of a daily lifestyle decision.
- Applying universal design features in plans wherever possible.
- Enlightening the general public on sustainable living whenever possible.
PLEASE DO YOUR PART IN WORKING TOWARDS A “GREENER” LIFESTYLE TO PROVIDE A HEALTHIER WAY OF LIVING FOR YOU, YOUR FAMILY, AND THE FUTURE ENVIRONMENT!